Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The day Bonnie finally got her name.


Dear Bonnie,

Your dad and I wanted you to have the perfect name. We always knew that our first girl would have the middle name of Catherine (since it was family tradition that you'd be named after your great-great-grandma), but as for your first name, we had no idea what we were going to do. For the twenty weeks before your due date, we discussed countless names, but nothing felt just right. People would ask us again and again what name we had chosen, and we had to explain that we hadn't agreed on anything quite yet. As your due date got nearer, we put together four possible names- Scarlett, Skyler, Paisley, and Eleanor. We felt comfortable with these options, however none of them stood out as "the name" yet. We hoped that when we set eyes on your pretty little face that one of the names would seem to fit.

You finally arrived. Your dad and I would hold you in the hospital room, looking at your perfect, petite little self and trying out the names on you. However, nothing stuck, and we were hesitant to start calling you anything specific because none of the names that we liked felt right for you.

As we were preparing to leave the hospital, we knew that we didn't want to go home without you having a name. I turned to your Daddy and said, "You know, I'm so tired to thinking about names. I'm starting to hate them all. I want you to name her. I got to choose Brody's middle name, so it is your turn." I remember your Daddy holding your tiny little self in his arms. You looked so small and his face looked so sweet as he stared into your little eyes. I sat across from him on the hospital bed nearby.

Finally, he said, while still staring at your perfect little face, "What about Bonnie?" He looked up at me, with tears in his eyes. I fell in love. Right when he said the name, I knew that was the sweet little name that you were meant to have. It was the first time we had considered this name, and I'm not sure why it hadn't come up sooner. I love old fashioned names for girls and I was looking high and low for one that would fit you.

Bonnie, you are named after your great grandma, and you should be so proud. She is one of the sweetest ladies I have ever met and many many people look up to her. Bonnie Catherine- the best part of your name is that both have meaning. You mean so much to us and it was so important to us that we find you the perfect name, just for you.

Bonnie couldn't fit you more. It means beautiful, and that is exactly what you are. Each day I find myself loving you more and more. I adore being your Mommy. You have the prettiest little lips- they are my favorite one of your features. When you get upset they make the saddest little pouty lip and it seriously is the cutest thing I have ever seen. And your nose.. it is perfect and allows you to have the most ideal profile I have ever seen. I could go on.. I think you are perfect, Bonnie Cait. I love you little girly girl.

I want to remember the story of your name. I think it is one of the sweetest stories. I love your Daddy and how much he loves being a parent. He loves his little girl so much.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment