Sunday, January 12, 2014

a momma's identity

I have to say it- I just love being pregnant. When I'm pregnant I feel so happy carrying my little inside of me twenty-four hours a day. I feel proud to wear my belly out places and enjoy the extra attention I get for it.

When I'm not pregnant anymore, I find myself yearning for those same pregnancy feelings that I love.

This "wishing to be pregnant" feeling comes strongest at the rare times I'm out in public without my kids. I have a "baby face", as some would say, and I doubt that any stranger would guess that I had two of my own babies waiting for me at home. It has been a common thing for people to guess that both of my younger sisters are actually older than me. We all three think this is funny, but are very used to it.

With this being so though, when I don't have my kids with me, I don't think that anyone would think that I was a mom. And I am a mom. And I am so proud of that fact. It's my favorite identity- my momma identity.

However, when I'm pregnant- everybody knows. They see my baby bump and ask questions, or they don't ask questions, but I am just content that they know. This makes me so happy and so proud.

I love being a momma and I want everyone to know it. When I feel like people are looking at me like a regular person, and not a mom, it somehow makes me feel weird, because I feel like they should know. When checking out alone at the grocery store, I feel the urge to say, "Plastic please, and also, I'm a mom!"

I've never really done this, obviously, but I honestly get the urge to.

So my pregnant belly fixes these urges, and I love it. I love being pregnant. I love being a momma. Everyday I wake up and know that I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing with my life- living and loving these two beautiful babies.









No comments:

Post a Comment