Saturday, May 25, 2013

Brody's Momma = The Babysitter

Some days I can't help but notice how much of a daddy's boy Brody is.
And while that is so nice,
and fun,
and sweet,
and cute...
for Jeff,
it sometimes sucks for me.
Where was that sweet momma-loving nursing baby I once knew?

I knew, I KNEW, this would happen.
Or so I told myself as I sat in our rocking chair, cherishing those sweet baby cuddle moments.
I knew that one day Brody might not want to cuddle his momma as much...
but did I really take it seriously?
I am finding out that I never truly believed that moment would ever happen.
And then today happened...

We went to the water park- Jeff, Brody, and me.
It was opening day and the weather was perfect!
Both Jeff and I were SO excited to bring Brody there and show him the bright colors, the water, the waves, and the people!
We started at the wave pool. I got the honors of carrying him first to go see it.
He liked touching the water and watching all of the kids scream as the waves got nearer to the shore.
He was feeling a bit adventurous, at first, until he decided to crawl into the waves,
causing a not-so-fun head under the water crawl that ended by him looking up at me with his arms in the air, wanting me to pick him up right that instant.
That was the end of Mr. Adventerous.
And then he saw Dada.
He reached over for him to take him, and left Momma feeling lonely without her little guy.
That was the first thing, it gets worse.

So Dada went and rented us all a double tube so that we could float in the wave pool.
That was so relaxing!!
But Brody was a bit nervous, and also a bit cold,
so all he wanted to do was curl up on top of Dada and cuddle into him.
Dada was starting to feel bad and used his best encouraging voice to say, "Brody, you want to go over and lay with Momma?!"
He handed him over to me, and Brody continued to reach back to Dada,
until he took matters into his own hands and crawled away from me, back to Dada's spot,
pushing his little feet into my side to get there.
Once over to Dada, he laid his little head on his chest and cuddled right back in.
How sweet. :(

It's fine. I will be okay. I'm not toooo heart broken, just a little though.

I remember when Brody was first born how he would cry and cry until I returned home.
I remember how that made Jeff feel and how it made me feel bad as well that Brody chose me over Jeff.
Oh, how that tables have turned!!

Every time Brody sees Jeff get ready for work, he starts to whine.
As he puts on his work belt, the whines increase.
As he puts on his work hat, Brody stands beneath him and wants him to pick him up.
As he puts on his work shoes, the whines start into a little cry.
And when the door shuts, and all he is left with is me, the babysitter, he screams for Dada.
I'm left with a sad little guy who I have to distract in order for him to be happy again.
All this does for me is brings back many memories of babysitting and the sorrows that come when the parents leave for the evening.

Jeff is the star in our house.
Every time Jeff is home, Brody is following him like a little shadow.
If he goes into the bathroom and shuts the door, heaven forbid,
Brody screams and scratches at the door until he is forced to invite him in...
or Momma comes and takes him to another room.
(Brody doesn't like that second option.)

Sometimes I think to myself that maybe I'm just not fun like Dada.
Maybe Brody just doesn't want to be around me.

And then there are the other days that Brody and I are playing,
and Brody crawls over, sits on my lap, and gives me the sweetest cuddle...
then all is well again.

And then there are the other days when Brody bumps his head
and immediately crawls over to me, pointing to where it hurts,
and I kiss it better and he is happy again.

I love my Daddy's boy, even if he is sort of a Daddy's boy.
Photo: We had a great sun filled day at the water park today!

Momma's Boy                                                                   Dada's Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment